Wednesday, October 6, 2010


I completed the Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon!!!
Omg, what an experience! I seriously accomplished my big running goal and I could not be happier! I felt so many different emotions that day, that it is really indescribable, but I'll try to break down the race:

Mile 1 flew by because its mostly spent weaving through traffic and making your way through the mass of people. Miles 2 and 3 involved the Main St bridge and the Acosta. I had run these bridges before, so I was not too worried. I just kept thinking "baby steps". Once the bridges were done, I knew it would be smooth sailing..kind of. At around mile 4 and 5 I heard sirens and saw the leader heading back (though they were passing mile 8) I was in shock. It is very hard with people speeding past you to keep your own pace. I did though and the miles went, but at mile 7 I was in for some trouble. I suddenly got a sharp cramp in my right side. Mentally I felt strong, and physically I didnt need to stop but the pain was pretty bad. I dug my hand into my side and concentrated on deep breaths. I just kept thinking that I could not run the remaining 6 miles with this pain, but I was also not willing to stop.

I pushed through and about mile 8 the cramp was gone. I kept hydrating and even ate some sport beans along the way. Miles 9 and 10, being the furthest I had trained I was feeling ok. My feet were hurting, I knew I had blisters, but once I passed 10 I knew every step was my furthest run and I wanted to blow it out of the water. There were alot of hills along the course, in fact mile 11 was at the top of one. With 2 miles left I thought I had a second wind. I did, but for about 5 minutes, then I was praying for the finish. I turned my ipod from mile 11 to 12.5. Once I passed the final water station and saw the turn for the finish I was ecstatic. My legs were heavy and begging me to stop, but my mind went to my best friend Jon, I was running every step for him. He never gave up in Afghanistan and neither was I-so I kept on. I turned my ipod off so I could enjoy the end with the crowd and music at the finish. When I turned the corner and saw the finish line and my boyfriend and dad something snapped inside me and I took off (or I thought I did). I gave it everything I had through that finish line (looking back on the video, I wasnt going so fast, I just thought I was). A marine placed a medal around my neck and the tears started and didnt stop for awhile. I was ecstatic, sad, relieved, and proud! A million emotions, but one outcome-I had finished my first 1/2 marathon!!

I have few pictures, bc I have a video of the finish, but my goals were to finish in under 3 hours and to run the whole thing-check and check, ran it all and finished in 2:48!
we did it-this picture does not do justice to how I felt
pre-race-so nervous

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your accomplishment, that's huge!